Bicycle Safety: For Cyclist and Drivers
Bicycling is a great form of exercise, and as the weather warms up you will begin to see more cyclists on the road. Bicyclists face a higher risk of crash-related injuries and deaths than occupants in motor vehicles. To ensure your safety, whether you are a cyclist or a driver, here are a few things to remember regarding bike safety.
- Inspect your bike – adjust the seat, check the tires, and ensure your bike is safe to operate before going out for a ride;
- Wear a helmet – ensure that you have a helmet that fits properly and always wear it when riding your bike;
- Be visible – make sure that drivers can see you by wearing bright colors, having lights on your bike, and minimize riding at night;
- Follow the rules of the road – use hand signals, follow the flow of traffic, obey road signs, and follow the same rules as motorists.
- Share the road – whether there is a bike lane or not in your area, share the road with cyclists and give them space;
- Be mindful of your surroundings – when parking, backing up, or turning right on red, be on the lookout for cyclists;
- Yield to bicyclists – don’t underestimate the speed of a cyclist and yield to a cyclist as you would a motorist;
- Consider the cyclists – cyclists are not obstacles while driving, they are people; so use caution when speeding past them or blowing your horn.
Just because you are on a bike does not mean you should not follow the rules of the road, and just because you are in a vehicle does not mean you have more authority than a cyclist. While driving or cycling, remember to practice safe driving skills to ensure your safety and the safety of others.
The attorneys at Broussard, David & Moroux have the knowledge and experience necessary to handle cases of this nature and will fight to obtain fair compensation for your injuries. If you, or a loved one has suffered harm because of the fault of another, contact the attorneys at Broussard, David & Moroux to discuss your legal rights at (337) 233-2323 (local) or (888) 337-2323 (toll-free).