Motorcycle Safety Tips
In the late hours of March 13, a fatal motorcycle crash occurred at the 2300 block of West Pinhook Road, near Verot School Road. The investigation showed that the motorcyclist entered the center lane, in an attempt to go around vehicle traffic. While in the center lane, the motorcycle collided with another vehicle. A passenger from the vehicle was injured and transported to a local hospital. The motorcyclist died in the crash.
In light of this accident, it is important to remember these safety procedures when operating a motorcycle:
- Be sure to wear a quality helmet and eye protection.
- Use lane positioning to see and be seen.
- Search for vehicles that may turn across your path, especially when entering intersections.
- Be sure to ride within your skill level and situational limits.
- Take an online or hands-on training course to learn your bike and develop your riding technique.
- Make it a habit to conduct pre-ride vehicle inspections before getting on the road.
It is also good to note that Louisiana has made lane splitting illegal. Lane splitting is the act of driving between two lanes of traffic. While motorcycles can easily drive between lanes of traffic, this is extremely dangerous because (1) drivers are not expecting them in those spaces, (2) motorcycle riders have little protection from other vehicles, and (3) it leaves the motorcyclist little room to maneuver safely.
Broussard, David & Moroux extends their condolences to the family and friends of the motorcyclist in the accident.
The attorneys at Broussard, David & Moroux have the knowledge and experience necessary to handle cases of this nature and will fight to obtain fair compensation for your injuries. If you or a loved one has suffered harm because of the fault of another, contact the attorneys at Broussard, David & Moroux to discuss your legal rights at (337) 233-2323 (local) or (888) 337-2323 (toll-free).